DIY Solar Installation
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) is the cheapest way to go because you will have no solar installation cost. Other than your time and effort, the installation is FREE! In terms of your overall solar project, this will save the most money, likely 50% or more compared to full-service. Ask family or friends to help, or maybe even a local handyman. SunWatts can help you with the PV system design, layout options, and even electrical drawings for permits.
To build your own solar panel array, just read and follow the step-by-step installation instructions included with the solar panels, inverters and mounting system. In practice, you should be considered "handy" and maybe have tackled some home improvement projects on your own. You will have to lift heavy solar panels (40 lbs to 50 lbs each) You will need to be comfortable with the paperwork for the local building permit, the utility connection, and rebates.
WANT A SOLAR PANEL SYSTEM AT THE LOWEST COST? START SOLAR DESIGN
Tools Required to Install Rooftop Solar Mounting
- Tape measure
- Roofers bar, shingle ripper
- Chalk line
- Stud finder
- Caulking gun
- Sealant compatible with roofing materials
- Drill with 7/32" long-style bit
- Drill or impact gun with 1/2" deep socket
- Ladder, Safety harness and rope
How to Install PV Solar Panel Roof Flashing Attachment
Simply slide the flashing under a row of roof shingles, drill pilot hole, apply sealant to hole, secure with bolt and attach sealing washer. Just a few minutes to install flash-foot. Watch this video for a demonstration.
Helpful Solar Installation Links
Here are links to more information about some of the detailed steps to complete a solar istallation.
- How to calculate the solar system size, How many watts do I need?
- How to evaluate a location for solar panels?
- How to measure a roof for solar panels
- How to Measure the best tilt, pitch or slope for Solar Panels
- Electrical Code rules to connect a PV solar panel system
- Solar Panel Installation Checklist