Solar Rebates, Incentives
Incentives, Rebates, Tax Credits for Renewable Energy
You are eligible to receive income tax credits from the government AND cash rebates or energy credits from your local utility company when you install a solar panel or other renewable energy system. Depending on where you live, you could save 60% or more off the cost of installing solar panels. Rest assured, we can help explain the available programs and make the paperwork easy for you to get low-cost solar installation.
Federal Solar Electric Tax Credit
The U.S. Treasury allows Energy Tax Credits for home or business owner incomes. Taxpayers are allowed one tax credit equal to 26 percent of the qualified investment in solar electric panels, and another equivalent 26% credit for investing in a solar water heating system. Solar tax credits do not apply to solar heating for pools or hot tubs. Remember, always consult your tax adviser, and on your next income tax return take advantage of these solar tax credits.
A taxpayer may claim a credit of >26% of qualified expenditures for a system that serves a dwelling located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer. Expenditures with respect to the equipment and labor are treated as made when the installation is completed. If the installation is on a new home, the "placed in service" date is the date of occupancy by the homeowner.
- The tax credit covers all costs, including plans, permits, site preparation, equipment, wiring, labor and installation.
- There is no maximum credit amount for systems.
- If the federal tax credit exceeds the tax liability, the excess amount may be carried forward to the succeeding taxable year.
- The home served by the system does not have to be the taxpayer’s principal residence.
- 30% for systems placed in service in 2019
- >26% for systems placed in service in 2020
- 22% for systems placed in service in 2021
- 10% for systems placed in service after 2021
WANT A SOLAR PANEL SYSTEM AT THE LOWEST COST? START SOLAR DESIGN