Receive a custom prepared design for a solar panel system prepared by an experienced technician. This personalized solar design helps you to make an informed, unbiased decision to find the best solar power system at the lowest cost. Understand your options for residential or commercial modules, on-grid or off-grid, backup systems, rooftop or ground mounting. Once complete with a qualifying system order, the solar design is used to prepare a large format plan blueprint to use when applying for building permits, utility, or HOA approval. See specifications for what's included.
TERMS & CONDITIONS Applies to existing, single-family, grid-tied residence up to 30kW. For off-grid battery storage systems, sizes larger than 30kW, commercial buildings, or new construction, please choose plan upgrade. Final plans provided upon valid system order; plans are not sold without a system order. The design fee is credited toward a valid system order. The design fee is forfeited without system order. Order online or by phone, (888) 498-3331.
FREE WITH SYSTEM PURCHASE - your cost is credited toward qualifying order (5kW or greater)
- Explore all options with an experienced designer
- Easy to understand guide for choosing the best price and performance PV solar panels and system
- PV Solar Design delivered as a pdf document
- Final Plan suitable for use when applying for building permits, utility or HOA approval
- Final plans (printable on 11 x 17 paper) provided upon valid system order; plans are not sold without a system order
- Applies to existing, single-family, grid-tied residence up to 30kW
- Plan upgrades available for off-grid battery storage systems, larger sizes up to 1 mega-watt, commercial buildings, or new construction
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Standard Design applies to existing, single-family, grid-tied residence up to 30kW
- For off-grid battery storage systems, sizes larger than 30kW, commercial buildings, or new construction, please choose plan upgrade
- Final plans provided upon valid system order; plans are not sold without a system order
- Design fee is credited toward valid system order
- Design fee is forfeited without system order
What's included in your personalized solar system design
- Analysis of current and future energy use
- Assessment of roof or property site for various mounting options
- Evaluation of current electrical setup
- Review of local permit or utility requirements
- PV system sizing options
- Estimated energy production scenarios
- Mounting layout and product options for rooftop or ground mount configuration
- Solar panel and inverter configuration options
- Best price project quotes for all equipment from your choice of manufacturers
- Optional full-service installation quotes
- Tax credit, rebate, and incentive summary
- Expected lifetime savings and ROI estimate
FINAL PERMIT PLAN INCLUDES
- NOTE: Permit plan provided with valid system order
- Solar System Summary, cover page, materials list, and applicable code and system notes
- Solar array site plan
- Structural Engineering drawing; specifications and calculations for mounting components
- Single-line drawing, wiring diagram with electrical specifications and calculations
- Safety labels and signage
- Product specifications and certifications
- Dry-stamped mount engineering letter
- System design planning
- 10 - 20 page PV System Plan, printable on 11x17 paper
- Plan revisions if required by building permit authority
- Optional: original, wet-stamped Plan or engineering letter if required for permit, an additional fee may apply
- Optional: Wiring Diagram 3-line electrical drawings
- Optional: 3-D Shading Analysis
Information Needed To Complete The PV Solar Array Design
We will have an initial consultation with you by phone or email to better understand your goals, preference, budget and location. Then we will send an email and form to request some or all of the following information from you.
- Last 12 months energy consumption (list actual monthly kilowatt hours or kWh), or copies of electric bills
- Last 12 months utility billing (list monthly $), or copies of electric bills
- Energy production goal (e.g. eliminate top rate tiers, 50% of total bill, 80%,100%…)
- IF ROOF MOUNT:
- Roof pitch (see HOW TO MEASURE ROOF PITCH)
- Rafter spacing, typically 16" or 24" o.c.
- Type of rafters, (e.g. 2x6 solid wood)
- Type of roof material (e.g. asphalt or composition shingle, spanish S-tile, concrete flat tile)
- IF GROUND MOUNT:
- Describe preferred location of solar array relative to house or other marker
- What is slope / pitch of location
- Electric Amp service size (see rating on panel label or main breaker)
- Photo of electric box (with door open)
- Location of electric box
- Location of electric meter
- Name of utility company
- Name of building permit authority (e.g. town, city or county name)
- Any preferences for products
- Any preferences for layout
- Any homeowner association (HOA) restrictions or concerns. If HOA, please include name & contact.
- Any building or construction plan drawings or documents
- Preferred installation method: DIY do-it-yourself, hire your own installer, or require full-service
Don't let this list intimidate you. We will guide you through the process and work for you to meet any standards or codes.
IF you have ordered the solar design, you may complete the Solar Project Requirements Form
Our experience has been a great one starting with the professionalism from our sales/engineer to the product we received. Being a novice at solar their customer service has helped us through every little question I could come up with. The plans they drew up with were so professional that I was granted a permit with ease. The shipping people were professional and on time.when it came time to install the friends who were employed by a company that installs solar were impressed not only by the plans/instructions given to me but the components that were supplied for installation as well as the PV system. I shopped every site and had quotes from multiple companies. All in all i saved an estimated 15-20 thousand dollars by going with sunwatts.com and brag about it every day.
I shopped around and researched for 2 months for 6.5 kW DIY PV system. I was very pleased with the response time (phone and email), information, and service from the company. During the permitting process I got help from the company after I had paid my bill in full. With the helpful advice and design service from Sun Watts I think I got the system components that best suit the harsh climate I live in.
I am a degree'd engineer, a former carpenter, and now regular homeowner. I bought an 11.3kW system from sunwatts to mostly self install and can only describe it as a leg set for adults! Yes a certified electrician will check everything over and derate my main breaker/buss, I'm not a fool, otherwise self installing. Everything was included except $50 worth of conduit, the wiring from the combiner box to the inverter and the wiring to tie in to my house's electrical panel. After sale support was also first class. From order to delivery was barely a week, and I live 2000 miles from California. Very impressed! Best prices on the internet and first class design, order fulfillment and support!
Sizing and up front engineering was perfect with no issues. Installation drawings and submittal to the City for permitting were spot on with no problems. Material delivery was the only snag, Not all of the material was shipped on the original order, Once phone call was made, they corrected and sent the balance of the material. personnel for were always available by phone and ready to discuss. Please so far. Finished the installation on my own and going for the city final inspection this week. Enphase Envoy system for tracking system performance works great and able to track each solar panel's performance.
great service, made application for permits easy and very porfessional. Was so helpful we will be able to order more for our friends, may make a business out of this. sunwatts is terrific with questions and follow up. Thank you
Thank you for our solar! It was an incredible learning process and empowering to have done it ourselves. We are overjoyed that it was successful. We still can't believe we actually built a ground mounted solar array with 60 Canadian panels. I still vividly remember our first conversation. I gave you a hard time because I didn't actually believe we could do it ourselves. I asked you so many questions, and I was so skeptical of the whole situation. You were so patient and answered my endless inquires. You have saved us so much money, and made our hopes to have solar a reality. Your support throughout the process was beyond our expectations. I still can't figure out how you were always available on the phone no matter what time or day of the week it was. You have redefined what customer service is. In fact, you have inspired me to serve my own customers better based on my experiences with sunwatts.com.
The design drawing package is excellent. It covers all the items with detail information. All the items are laid out by NEC, building and local codes accordingly. The process to get a permit at the county permit department was very easy and simple without any problem. As a current electrical design engineer I recommend this company for designing solar PV systems to everyone who is seeking that kind of work.
This company handled all the details. They were professional and responsive every step of the way. I would recommend them to anyone considering solar. We had gotten quotes from several contractors and were surprised at how expensive they were. These guys did it all for a lot less. They handled the plans, permits, a professional crew and inspection. They were only working on-site for a day and half, but overall it took about 6 weeks for city approvals and utility before we could turn it on. I was nervous about their guys working on the spanish tile roof, but they did a really nice job, repaired a few things and even painted the pipes to match the roof. Only complaint is that I could have used a little more training about the monitoring software, but i figured it out eventually. Happy to report that we have had two months of basically no power bills and the system is producing as expected.
I had great experience with this company. Great value for the money. Returns phone calls and e-mails promptly. The solar permit design has a lot of good information especially when dealing with inspectors. They provided all the engineering details for the ironridge ground mount. I am going recommend this company to anyone who is thinking about a solar project.
Overall, a good experience with sunwatts, who was very helpful and took the time to answer all of my questions. The permit plans were done fast and professionally.
I want to compliment this company for being so organized responsive, knowledgeable and honest...I got what I payed for and their customer service.. was instrumental in giving me the right amount of panels, drawings I needed to submit to the city etc....trust was proven over and over again with experienced advice!!!
Overall, it was a very positive experience. People had been impressed and I have been passing around your website. I certainly learned a lot. Overall, it went very well.